16.1.13

Wiksten Tova


I finally broke down and bought the Wiksten Tova pattern. I have been wanting it for a while, and I love the Wiksten Tank pattern so much I figured it would be similarly lovely. Tova did not disappoint, like the other  pattern it is really well drafted, and simple simple to sew. I cut out the fabric and sewed everything up over the course of a day.
I made it with some light blue and white slubby woven cotton or maybe it is linen? I got it second hand so I have no idea.  Its very stiff. I am hoping it is linen and that it softens up after a few washes.

I cut out the pattern in a size medium but suspected based on the pattern measurements I would need some extra room in the hips so I slashed the skirt of the pattern to add an extra inch, basically a big booty adjustment. Despite this I ended up needing to adjust the seam allowance to give a bit more ease in the hips foiling my grand plans to do flat felled seams throughout. Next time.

The pattern has sleeves but I decided to do a sleeveless version bound with bias tape.
The only thing I don't like about the pattern is that it doesn't have pockets, As I am wearing it I keep reaching my hands towards pockets that aren't there. I am tempted to rip out the side seams and add some in.

When googling tricks to determine fiber content in fabrics I found this very handy link:
http://www.rebeccablood.net/domestic/fiber_content_tests.html
I am off to test some scraps!

1 comment:

coco said...

I'm so glad to find your sleeveless version! am thinking of doing one for spring and summer. Your fabric is lovely, whatever it is! I agree re. pockets, plan to put them in :-)